Saturday, June 20, 2009

Cloth diapers for the new millenium

The other day I got an email from a coworker. Normally he sends me emails about concerts he is playing or other such party related info. But as his wife is now pregnant life has changed for him and he was asking about diapers. Anke has just gone through the full on cloth diaper research project so I asked her to write up some info for him and I figured I would post it here for anyone interested in giving them a try. They are great and easy and they are not like your mom's cloth diapers. The American auto industry may not be very innovative these days, perhaps all the creative design gurus have been working in the cloth diaper industry. Just like baby bottles, baby clothes, toys, etc, the environmentally and baby friendly varieties have really multiplied just in the last five years since Noah was a baby. check 'em out.


Hi there,

We decided to invest in cloth diapers, not only to hopefully save some money over the next two years of diapering but also to to reduce the diaper mountain I carry out to the garbage every week. Diapers take hundreds of years to decompose, I don't even know if they even do. Besides they waste resources. Wouldn't you rather have organic cotton next to your babies skin than plastic and gel? I know there are some pretty good alternatives out there. I like the good Earth ones, since they are made out out corn and wheat and don't have gel in them. You can get them as well as seventh Generation, which are bleached without dioxins at diapers.com shipped directly to your house without shipping if you order $50 or more and better prices than most stores.
Here are some helpful web pages to educate yourself about cloth diapering:



www.jilliansdrawers.com
This web page has a great offer. You can try cloth diapering for a month for only $10. They send you about seven different diaper systems, some pocket diapers, some all in ones, some prefolds and some fitted diapers with different covers. This way you can get an idea of what system works best for you. Then you still need to decided what brand you want to get.
I decided for simplicity reasons to go with the all in ones. We like the organic cotton factor and the one size fits all diapers.
So I decided for the Gro Baby and the Bumgenius all in one organic cotton with snaps. If anybody has any questions feel free to call me. I am not an expert since I am just starting myself. But I have tried different kinds for a month and spent a lot of time and energy researching before I made up my mind to spend $ 500 on cloth diapers. So I might be able to answer some of your questions. I ordered my diapers from this web page, I also love their customer service.

www.allaboutclothdiapers.com
I like the wet bags and bamboo wipes Lesly makes herself. Her store is in southern California. I just ordered some yesterday. I can let you know how they are, once I give them a try.

www.clothdiapersuperstore.com
On this webpage you will find anything and everything you always wanted to know and learn about cloth diapers. From how to wash them on how many to get from which brand and cloth diapering mom's advice and comment on a blog and a ton more. One of my favorites.


www.diaperpin.com
On this webpage you can find cloth diapering tips, reviews and more. I liked this side to read peoples reviews on different cloth diapers that I was deciding between to get.


Good luck with it all. I hope you can find something that works for you. What ever it is. It has to work for you and not stress you out. Because it is enough work to have a baby. With our first one we were busy enough to just be new parents we did not even have the energy to try something else.

Call me if you need advice. (415)924-8550
Anke

No comments: